You can have:
- difficulty hearing
- an ear infection
- sounds such as high-pitched tones coming from inside the ear (tinnitus)
Causes of earwaxYou might have earwax build-up because:
- you just have more wax in your ears – some people do naturally
- you have hairy or narrow canals (the tubes that link the eardrum and outer ear)
- of your age – wax gets harder and more difficult to fall out
- of hearing aids, earplugs and other things you put in your ear – these can push the wax further in
Preventing earwax build-upYou can't prevent earwax. It's there to protect your ears from dirt and germs.
However, you can keep using olive oil or an olive oil spray such as Earol to soften the wax. We recommend you do this once a month to help keep your ears clear. This may help the wax fall out on its own and should prevent blocked ears.
If you need to book an appointment for microsuction wax removal, click here.